Sunday, April 22, 2012

Xian: Letter 2

Dearest Xian

I was disappointed when I found that you'd done badly for your Spelling (3) and Spelling (4) - not because you scored 3/10 and 5/10 respectively, but because you deliberately kept this from me. And I only found out because I checked your school bag to see what I could remove to reduce the weight of your bag.

I remember asking you several times about your spelling exercises, and you kept telling me your teacher didn't give you the dates. I didn't question you simply because I trusted you, although I found it a little strange that you'd only completed two spelling exercises so far - both in which you scored full marks. 

This proves that if you put in some effort, you will be able to perform. The only reason why you fared badly was because you didn't revise your work. And you know that's the truth. All these little components do count as marks for your continuous assessment, and these will come a long way in the final grade because they will help you pass the subject. 

I know taking the exams is a real struggle for you and that's why I always tell you to try your best to pass the paper. I know your limitations and have adjusted my expectations accordingly. While you may not be able to score 'A's or 'B's, you are capable of passing the exams.

Your dyslexia isn't moderate or severe, so you shouldn't use that as a shield and conveniently take cover under it. Unfortunately you need to work extra hard just to get the same results as your friends who may not put in much effort at all.

I've said this to you many times and will say it again. I'm happy just to see you improve, even if it's only half a mark. But I get upset when you don't even try because I know you can do it.

You're worth much more than superficial grades in the report book. But in Singapore's education system, you do need to produce a decent set of results to move on. While I've spoken out many times against a system that disadvantages academically weaker students, I've to accept the reality that things will not change. At least not anytime soon.

Please understand that my anger wasn't directed at your poor grades. I was upset because you tried to hide them. If you had studied, put in your best and got those results, I wouldn't have been so sad. And I've told you before that I'd rather you tell me the truth and face the consequences than to lie, because that would destroy my trust in you.

You'll be turning 10 in about a month's time. Very soon, you won't even want to hang around me anymore and that day may come sooner than I expect. I do understand what it's like, having experienced growing pains myself too.  I just hope that you won't push me away because no matter what happens, I will always be here for you. Do remember that, ok?

With love always
Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment